Thursday, November 5, 2009

Teenage Wasteland

I thought today's discussion in English was great. I really enjoyed listening to the song by The Who because they are not a band that I listen to and it was good exposure. When relating the song to the story we just read, I thought it was very appropriate. The story is about a trouble teenage boy. The narrator of the piece of literature is his mother, Daisy. Therefore the entire story is told from the perspective of parents and adults. They see a troubled kid who keeps getting into trouble and eventually runs away. The teenage boy, however, does not get to share his side of the story. Maybe he is feeling trapped. Maybe he is feeling like he is looking for something and the world around him is not providing it. He wants something more than what is in front of him. That is where the song comes in. I believe the song comes from teenagers points of view. The music sound chaotic but it goes along with the lyrics. Just as a teenager's life is not structured or organized. If they made the short story into a movie I could see this song beginning to play as Donny walk out of the exam and leaves.
WORD COUNT: 208

No comments:

Post a Comment