Monday, October 5, 2009

Outside Activity 2

This weekend I went to see the play "A Streetcar Named Desire" by Tennessee Williams. On my way downtown to view this piece I was beginning to expect less and less because I had never been to Hattiloo Theater and in my opinion it honestly looked like a whole in the wall. However, my opinions changed with the first scene of the play. I really enjoyed myself.

My favorite character was Stanley. Personally I am always drawn to the smart alack that makes me laugh. His character was a simple man in a loving relationship which shows that one does not need the world or anything material to have a wonderful love. His character did have some flaws as well though. His anger was not a good characteristic but it showed that no one is perfect.

I also found the title "A Streetcar Named Desire" interesting as well. In my opinion, the streetcar was a symbol for how much the audience was tossing between desires there was. For example, the story goes from the desires of Stanley, Blanch, and Stella. Blanch desired for the world to notice her. She wanted to be the center of attention. Stella and Stanley both had the desire for each other. Stanley wanted Blanch to leave in order for him and Stella to be happy again. However, he also desires Blanch which is shown in the scene where he rapes her. All of the emotion thrown around from character to character sets the name of the play, "A Streetcar Named Desire."

WORD COUNT: 256

No comments:

Post a Comment